Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Dusty souls

It's been awhile.  Y'know, classes, new puppy, work sucks.  EXCUSES!

Anyways, one of my biggest problems with the original dark souls is that everything after beating ornstein and smough just feels like....busywork.  The bosses I mean, the areas themselves are well designed and interesting for the most part, but with the exception of gravelord Nito, the fights are all rubbish.

Seath especially is laughably bad.  Like with the gaping dragon, the only thing that makes the fight difficult, are extenuating circumstances.  Fighting the gaping dragon with the channeler still alive in the sniper spot is frustrating beyond belief.  Fighting Seath and trying to get his tail is equally difficult.  Mostly because the window for hitting his tail and actually severing it is so small.  You have to hit the very tippy tip or it counts as a body strike, and you have just enough time to make it there before he throws his temper tantrum.

After you've gotten his tail though, it's simple enough to just stroll on up to him, smack him a whole bunch, and then stroll away.  As long as you don't get too close to any of the tentacles you are golden.

For a guy that features so prominently in the lore, and for a guy who is absolutely stunning to look at, fighting him is just....embarrassing.  Seath and the gaping dragon are the only two bosses who didn't kill me on my first play through many moons ago.

I've nearly beaten the game entirely, and still the only thing I like more about the first game is the design of some of the areas.  Being locked into longsword combat isn't helping either.  I really feel like the quicker durability loss helped the second game flow a lot.  You took a more balanced weapon set because you HAD to.

I mean don't get me wrong.  Dark souls is one of the greatest games I've ever played in my life.  I just like the second one too.

Looking forward to NG+

No comments: